May 18, 2013

Star Wars Weekends Parade 2013

My brothers and sisters from The 501st Legion are in Orlando marching through Disney World's Hollywood Studios during Star Wars Weekends, four consecutive weekends of parades and Star Wars events in the park. It's a time for members who haven't seen each other all year to reunite, slap each other's backs, drink beer, rib each other mercilessly and tell tall tales. 

I'm not marching this year; I've done it four times, and I just don't have time to do it again this year. It's an endurance test; the heat index averages around one hundred degrees, and we're in costume for at least forty minutes back stage before the parade even begins.

  • To see my blog post from Star Wars Weekends 2011, click HERE.
  • To read my account of a very special event I participated in at Hollywood Studios, click HERE.
This video shows the parade emerging from the back stage staging area, making the first turn to proceed down the center of the park. The group of children are the Padewan learners, young Jedi masters in training (kids selected by Disney staff to be part of the parade). Enjoy!

No comments: